Thursday, April 28, 2016

Happy? Birthday?

As always at this time of year, starting with my husband's birthday in early April and continuing through my own birthday in early May, I start to think of my life and where it is and what I've done in the past year. It's a bit like New Year's Resolutions, but more individual.

So where am I now that I wasn't last year?

Well, my French novels are being published, so that's a HUGE thing. The publisher isn't huge and I'm not a household name (yet!), but it's huge for me. Holding a paperback of my book (two of them so far) in my hand is just heart-stoppingly amazing.

Next step: getting them in bookstores.

Baby steps! Baby steps!

*Deep breath*

I love my French books a ton, of course, but the last six weeks or so, have gone off the rails and am writing a contemporary New Adult (college-age) romance. And I love it. So watch this space for the agony of pitching and querying...

****

Sadly, my efforts at staying healthy haven't paid off. I've still been walking but not as much. And once I stopped eating carefully, the weight started back on. So I'm working on that. I also need to get to a doctor, because I think I'm pre-diabetic, which would mean that I gain weight faster *and* when I gain weight, it will only get worse. Why do our bodies betray us so?

****

And what else? Really, a lot of the time I feel like I'm just hanging on by my fingertips. I mean, a whole year. What did that self-help inspirational author say? 'The days are long, but the years are short." Something like that. So I try to get stuff done in those long days and it all adds up to a quick year.

****

I'm coming to the end of my homeschool adventure with my middle child. He's going off to "real" high school next year. I think he'll do well as long as he settles in. It's always possible that I will homeschool him some more later if things go awry, but ohhhh, I'm ready to have more writing time and maybe get a part time job so I'm still available for Kid Duty and yet have a steady income.

(And if you'd like to know why I, who never ever wanted to homeschool, kept my kid home for three and a half years? Well, here: Some of the worst weeks of my life: a school story So if you're coming across this as a desperate parent, let me tell you: I've been there. You can do it. Maybe not as homeschool, but there are choices and alternatives. You and your kid WILL MAKE IT. It might suck really badly for a while, but chances are good.)

****

I need reviews! And I need more people to read my books!
Honorable Officer for Amazon Kindle
Indispensable Wife for Amazon Kindle

Honorable everywhere that I know about.
Indispensable everywhere that I know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment